As the business world increases in complexity, it is becoming clear that we require more from our leaders than traditional leadership. Integral Coaching is seen to be the next step in organisational and individual leadership and is supported by educational institutions worldwide. In South Africa the Universities of Cape Town and Stellenbosch include coaching in their executive leadership development programs. In the USA and United Kingdom, all major universities include coaching in their leadership and MBA programs.
Overview of Integral Coaching
First and fore mostly, coaching applies itself to the future of the organisation, the team and the individual (“the coachee”). The coach utilises multi-dimensional and systemic models to facilitate the development of the “coachee”. How we see these dimensions of our self in the world determines how we behave. Coaching works to develop, honour and maintain a balanced, self sustaining view and practice for “the coachee” to transform. The change process brings together behavioural, organisational, motivational and internal awareness to develop full potential and growth. It is therefore not a singular intervention, but a programme and a journey.
Coaching is distinct from other forms of leadership in that it facilitates that the coachee is able to work it out for themselves and is based on a peer-to-peer relationship. The basis for management, mentorship, training and skills development is that the individual is instructed and told what to do. Integral coaching provides methods for the coachee to become “unstuck”, more balanced in their approach and more authentic with themselves and others. It develops perspective, people and performance.
Integral coaching encompasses the 4 human dimensions of the mind, or thought and thinking patterns, the body, intuitive sensing and wellness, the soul, encompassing feelings, communication and language and lastly the sprit being the holistic wellbeing of the individual.
Benefits of Integral Coaching
- Deeper understanding of self, others and the company;
- Business issues addressed collectively and collaboratively;
- Higher energy levels and more commitment;
- Improved relationships with and delivery to clients, resulting from
- Improved levels of trust, openness and honesty within the company – in turn better focus on company and shared vision, value and goals;
- Deeper individual self awareness and focused, sustainable and practical growth;
- A practical method of understanding clients in more depth.